Baker Bond School gives new portfolio managers and beginners to fixed income investing the knowledge to better understand the various types of securities available, how to analyze them effectively, and how to use that knowledge to confidently build and manage a high-performance investment portfolio within the framework of the entire balance sheet.
This event has passed. Stay tuned for more Bond School events coming up.
Introduction to Bonds Webinar Series consists of four 1.5-hour sessions spread over two weeks.
March 2–11, 2021
10:00 a.m. CST
Education is the foundation of performance for investment portfolio managers, and that is why The Baker Group has presented hundreds of seminars and conferences across the country over the last forty years. Several years ago, we used that history of educational experience to introduce an in-person bond school designed specifically for new portfolio managers and those needing to learn the fundamentals of fixed income investing. Unfortunately, the COVID-19 pandemic forced us to cancel our 2020 Baker Bond School, and while we remain confident that we will be able to present an in-person bond school at some point in 2021, there remains a significant demand for basic bond education in the meantime. For this reason, we have decided to present an Introduction to Bonds Webinar Series consisting of four 1-hour and 30-minute sessions spread over two weeks to allow attendees the time to learn the information presented while limiting disruption to their normal work responsibilities. This webinar series is designed to give attendees the knowledge to better understand the various types of securities available, how to analyze them effectively, and how to use that knowledge to build and manage a high-performance investment portfolio within the framework of the entire balance sheet.
“The Baker Group has always prided itself on being a top provider of education to financial institutions on a wide range of topics, particularly investments and interest rate risk management. Founded by a professor of banking and economics, education is an essential part of our history.”
— Jeff Caughron, President and CEO
Who Should Attend
This webinar is designed for CEOs, CFOs, and those new to their roles in managing or working with the investment portfolio. Directors and new members of the investment and asset/liability management committees will also benefit from this webinar. There are no costs for these webinars.
NOTE: Registration is required for each session you want to attend. Register by clicking the session button below each day’s agenda.
What You Will Learn
Session 1 — Tuesday, March 2, at 10am CST
- Introduction to Bonds, Bond Types and the Role of the Portfolio
- Introduction to Bond Analytics
- Characteristics of High Performing Portfolios
- Introduction to Agencies and Callable Agencies
- Municipal Bond Fundamentals
- Developing a Thorough Municipal Credit Analysis Process
- How to Effectively Analyze Municipal Offerings
- Introduction to Mortgage-Backed Securities (MBS), Collateralized Mortgage Obligations (CMO), and Commercial MBS
- Managing Prepayment Risk by Understanding the Effect of Underlying Loan Attributes
- How to Effectively Analyze MBS/CMO Offerings
- Introduction to Institutional Investment Portfolio Management
- How to Develop a Written Investment Strategy to Achieve Outperformance
- Integrating Portfolio Management with Asset/Liability Management
- Regulatory Expectations for Investments