The Baker Asset/Liability Management School gives attendees the knowledge to better understand the fundamentals of asset/liability management, interest rate risk management, and the ALCO process.
Baker ALM School for Credit Unions
August 23-24, 2023
Save the Date
(more info to come)
The Baker Group pioneered Asset/Liability Management (ALM) more than forty years ago when we developed the first computer based ALM program designed specifically for community financial institutions. Since then, we have spent four decades educating financial institutions how to effectively use ALM strategies to manage risk and maximize performance. The Baker Group has presented hundreds of seminars and conferences across the country and now we have brought that history of educational experience to an Asset/Liability Management School designed specifically for ALCO members and those looking to improve the accuracy and usability of their ALM results. The Baker ALM School will give attendees the knowledge to better understand the “who, what, why, and how” of ALM and the ALCO process.
What You Will Learn
- Fundamentals of asset/liability management including what it is and why we do it
- Understanding the impact of the economy, monetary policy, and interest rates on the earnings and net worth of the institution
- Regulatory expectations to ensure you are always in compliance with the latest guidance and prepared for your next exam
- Best practices for developing an effective ALCO process including appropriate policies, procedures, and risk limits
- Practical methodologies and recommendations for how to develop assumptions that are institution specific and regularly reviewed, stress-tested, and back-tested
- Review of the most important assumptions available in most models and which ones have the greatest impact on outcomes including:
— Betas, rate sensitivities, and lags
— Decay rates, NMD average lives, and maturity distributions
— Discount rates and reinvestment rates
— Prepayment rates
— Rate scenarios including instantaneous vs. ramped and parallel vs. non-parallel
- Risk mitigation strategies for managing interest rate risk
- Incorporating investment portfolio management into asset/liability management
- How to develop an effective liquidity risk management process including forward looking dynamic cash flow modeling, stress testing, and contingency funding plans
Who Should Participate
This school is designed for Presidents, CEOs, CFOs, and members of the ALCO committee. Directors and anyone else involved in the asset/liability management process will also benefit from the Baker ALM School.
Call Skoshi Heron at 888.990.0010 for more information.
Wednesday, August 23
12:45 p.m. — 4:00 p.m. CDT
Thursday, August 24
12:45 p.m. — 4:00 p.m. CDT
Group live program.
The level of learning for this event is intermediate.
Basic knowledge of finance and banking is recommended.
1601 NW Expressway, 21st Floor
Oklahoma City, OK 73118